December 31, 2009

MY LAST 2009 POST...

I had planned on getting some year end sewing done today to complete a couple of my sewing goals. But, as you know, things don't always go as planned. During my long drive home from my visit with my daughter I had fond visions of closet cleaning and some major de-cluttering going on up in here. What I didn't plan on was coming down with the creeping crud! In spite of all my handwashing, dressing properly and the rest I still got it.
My mind wants to do some productive things, but my body is screaming "get some rest". I did make a pot of beef stew (comfort food) rather than a pot of soup - and it did hit the spot.

On the sewing side of things, I did make 5 pairs of PJ bottoms while on vacation. My Mother says that working with all of that flannel may have aggravated my sinuses - I tend to agree with her especially since they produced so much lint when I pre-washed and dried them. But I'm so glad that I got them done. My kids really appreciate the handmade jester. I call it creating memories. I also did some repair work while I was there. Replacing buttons, mending and even replaced a front fly zipper in a pair of pants - which is not an easy task for me. I am so glad that I took all of my sewing stuff with me. Me and Bessie (sewing machine) felt right at home in my Daughter's dining room.

Still didn't make it to Mary Jo's Cloth World. They closed early on Christmas Eve (I had called before hand to get their hours) so I didn't get there on the way up. And traveling back I wanted (needed) to get past that Charlotte morning traffic as quickly as possible. I drive, but I don't do heavy traffic very well. Lord help me! Maybe I get to Mary Jo's the next time I go up for a visit.
As you can imagine, I really didn't need anything anyway - just wanted to have a look.

My Daughter did take me to both Hancocks and JoAnn's there in Greensboro. I picked up a nice piece of black ponteroma that I've been wanting and was unable to get here (used my one and only 40% coupon on that) and also a nice weight taupe knit. I got in on the zipper sale - think I got 6 or 7, picked up thread and a few buttons. I also got a clear embroidery foot, a pin tuck foot, and a joining foot, because I'm trying to build up my collection. Now all I need is that ruffler, a walking foot and a rolling foot - unless there are others that I don't know about. If you know of any more - please let me know.


I'll review my '09 sewing year as soon as I feel a little better. Until then Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year...

21 comments:

  1. Anonymous1/01/2010

    THanks Faye for visiting my blog. I have been watching your pants progress for awhile and admiring. Can't wait to see what you make in 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made some amazing things year. Do you have a binder foot? That's the one foot that gets the most use in my sewing room. Every time I use I say to DH, 'Have I told you how much I love my binder foot?' He just shakes his head now and ignores me. Wishing you a very safe and happy 2010 and I look forward to sharing more sewing adventures with you. Thanks for your inspiration and support this year.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy New Year Faye! All the best for the year to come.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your sewing for family is very generous. Happy New Year, and get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Faye, Happy New Year! Sorry you got the crud. My vacation has been somewhat productive but I too have had some health issues going on. Sorry you did not get to Mary Jo's. I have been once and hope to get back there again in 2010.
    Get some rest and look forward to seeing you great creations all during this new year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Feel better soon. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you feel better soon. Looking forward to your review.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome Home! I miss our Cloth World that shut down years ago - they had really good fabric. Hope you feel better. It only took me 5 weeks to start feeling better :) I know what you mean when there's all this stuff to do and your body's telling you to rest. Listen to your body! Sleep, read some sewing books and just take time to rest. I didn't listen to my body and it lasted forever.
    Happy New Year! I can't wait to enjoy your sewing moments with you in Twenty Ten.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous1/01/2010

    Happy New Year Faye!So happy to share sewing adventures together!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I feel you, I've been sick since Monday, no sewing, very little cooking. I hope we feel better soon, take care of yourself and I'll do the same, we'll be back to our old selves in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year! I look forward to seeing what you make in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  12. karolskraftkorner@blogspot.com1/01/2010

    Hey Faye . . got to your blog via my sister's and had to laugh when i read about getting to Mary Jo's! My daughter lives in Mooresville (use to live in Gastonia) so whenever I go to visit, I make sure I get to Mary Jo's . . shopping online just isn't the same! Only given the choice of Joanne's here in Buffalo, it is like going to disneyland for me when I get to go to Mary Jo's! What fun! Looking forward to reading your blog for the coming year!
    Karol

    ReplyDelete
  13. ah, feel better soon Faye..you know, your mom might be right about the flannel lint...hmmm. That's alot of pj pants you made. Good for you! Happy 2010!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hope you're feeling better soon. A very happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I;m sorry you didn't make to to MaryJo's. It is such a great store!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Happy New Year Faye ! Feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Happy New Year. Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  18. A Very Happy New Year to you, Faye! Let's all of us have a grand time of sewing great things in 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Happy New Year and Get Well Soon.

    I am so impressed with your pants venture, but as for me too intimidated to do it. Ma be I will venture into making a pair for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you feel better! Sounds like a productive vacation that was very appreciated. :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hey Faye . . As far as garment/apparel fabric from Mary Jo's - have only bought two pieces that I love . . made a vest out of one and the other I still haven't made anything from. My reason for going is the themed cottons for quilting! They have stuff there that I would NEVER find at Joannes!.. I started on a collection of Wizard of Oz material to someday make a throw. I have material that looks like a coloring book that I plan on having each of my grandkids color a panel and make another quilted throw. I have an entire bin of themed pieces that I bought there just waiting to be transformed in to something! . . .someday . .*sigh . . :)

    ohhhh and also bought alot of serger threads that were on sale! . . and many "gadgets"!

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...