January 6, 2011

NO, I'M NOT A PREACHER, AND I KNOW THIS IS A SEWING BLOG, BUT......

 I think it's funny/ironic/amazing how one things totally unrelated can trigger memories of something you haven't thought of in years.  I had a memory trigger today about the outfit I wore.  I'd envisioned pulling this simple look together way back in mid-August.  You might remember this post called "Unintentional Purchases" where I showed two pieces fabric (both for pencil skirts) that I purchased  from Joann's unintentionally. (Unintentional:  famous sewists term used by most fabricholics when trying to justify buying fabric that they really do not need.)   I'm finally getting around to using this fabric for my skirts.
 
 I used this pattern, and although it was a easy peasy 3 pattern piece project I made a muslin to ensure the fit.  (I think I'm addicted to muslining now.)


MCCALLS 3830


There's nothing extra special about it, but I always think it's amazing nice when visions or dreams actually become reality - because we know that they do.  ""As a man thinkth, so shall it be"  (the Holy Bible); and "if you can conceive it, and believe it, you can achieve it"  (Napoleon Hill I think).  (Probably got that one a little twisted, but I'm sure you know what I mean.)  I finished the purple skirt last night, and it became my first sewing project of the New Year.  It was part of my simple vision come true outfit from way back in August.  The memory triggered about the skirt/outfit were actually these Bible verses:
  • Exodus 13:12 That thou shalt set apart unto the LORD all that openeth the matrix...,
My paraphrased explanation is - that which opens the matrix is the the first thing that comes through.  Of course these verses were referring to first born animals or children set aside for service to the Lord.  This explanation took me further in to thought about "first fruit offerings".  Now how does this pertain to a skirt - you might ask???  The reference is to the first thing, the best thing, not just cattle, children, or crops.  When the first thing/the best thing was dedicated to God it became blessed, and all the rest (that came afterward) was also blessed.  I know this still holds true today.

My next thought was whether my work was worthy/perfect enough to dedicate to God.  But then nothing I could give will ever be worthy or perfect enough.  I think what matters most is that whatever we dedicate is already his (Exodus 34:19), but He wants us to return it to Him.  

The LORD will open the heavens, the storehouse of his bounty, to send rain on your land in season and to bless all the work of your hands.   Deuteronomy 28:12 NIV


Then the LORD your God will make you most prosperous in all the work of your hands...  Deuteronomy 30:9 NIV

"In everything you do, put God first, and He will direct you and crown your efforts with success." 

Alright, enough preaching for today.  Here's the outfit, the first one (sewing project )through the matrix for me of the New Year. 




Although not perfect, I'm praying that God will bless the works of my hands all through the year!!!

25 comments:

  1. What a lovely way to start the New Year. Open mind, open heart. Your outfit is lovely. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous1/06/2011

    Jesse Jackson said "If your mind can conceive it and your heart can believe it, then you can achieve it." But I don't know if he was the first one to say it.
    It was my high school graduation class motto, and I've always loved it.
    Nice skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever, or whoever made this happen, the skirt is great! I would love to be one of your students!

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great outfit. I'm loving the skirt.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are off to a great start. You skirt is flattering, classic and pretty on you. Hopefully a good beginning to a fantastic year!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great blog~ I totally get what you're saying! :)
    BTW, the skirt looks wonderful on you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Faye, you are off to a great start. The skirt is lovely. I am really loving the entire outfit. Looking forward to seeing what you create in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Faye when did you win America's Next Top Model?? You look fantastic! The color might be slightly off but can you pair it with your Lady Faye coat?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your biblical references and how you explained through the matrix. You look lovely in the skirt and I think that God will appreciate your first offerings of the year!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that you mention the "First Fruit Offering"---you don't hear too many people talking about that. Most people talk about what they can get from God rather than give. What we give and how we give it show where are heart is. Giving to God First puts Him in the forefront of our lives where he should be. I know God will bless everything you put your hand to:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You may not be a preacher but you sure are a teacher, thanks for the lesson and the reminder. God bless you! And you look great.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your outfit! It looks great on you and I totally get your analogy & I really like that thinking!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the analogy. First fruits...many blessings...
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  14. That's so awesome! Thanks for sharing those verses and your outfit is amazing! May your year be blessed and full of awesome creations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wonderful post. Gorgeous outfit. As a teacher, you need all the blessings you can get.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I LOVE it! The skirt: the fabric and color are very nice and I like how you've styled it! The teaching: whevever your memory takes you back to God's Word - it's a blessed time! Thanks for the soul food!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the skirt! you look so chic and fabulous. Anyway skirts are my favorite garments.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Anonymous1/07/2011

    Your skirt looks great. Thank you so much for sharing your wonderful spirit. May your year of sewing be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Well said...I love the skirt, which has a lovely plaid to it. Happy New Year and I know your year will be blessed.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It looks like you're off to a good start, lovely skirt great fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  21. If God expected perfection, none of us could ever get into Heaven. I believe He expects the best that we can do, and applauds our improvements, and that's how we all should live our lives. The first skirt is outstanding, and I hope you enjoy the second one, too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Faye, wonderful post and I totally relate to all said within it!! You are off to a wonderful year and I am looking for to each and every project! Great outfit and beautiful fitting skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Lovely post. A nice reminder that we should all take the time to make our work worthy of an offering, to always do our best.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Wonderful post Faye. Your skirt is beautiful. Looking forward to see what you'll make this coming year.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...