February 7, 2015

MY MAMA TOLD ME...

...that it's been far too long between blog posts.  She's right!; but lately my work schedule has left little time for anything else - including (to my dismay) sewing.

It's SkillsUSA competition season once again folks; and with after school practice and preparation I've been far too beat up for evening and even weekend sewing plans.  All of our hard work did pay off  at Regional Competition in Griffin, Georgia though; 38 students representing four departments competed in 9 events and brought back 6 metals.  My Cosmetology Department competed in 4 of the events and won two of the metals - a first and a second.
GROUP PHOTO (I know, that this is not all of them)

Metal winners (minus one).  It's so hard to get everybody together at once - it's sort of like herding cats if you can imagine that (hahaha).  From left to right:  Interview skills - First Place; Welding -Third Place: Job Skills Open (Hair cutting) - First Place: Full Cosmetology Scope - Second Place; Prepared Speech - Second Place: (Missing: Job Skills A (Hand Cuffing) - Second Place



Needless to say, a very rewarding but TIRING day!  These Regional winners will now advance to State Competition in Atlanta at the end of March (3 days) where we will also pick up six additional event categories that will necessitate more after school planning and practice sessions before we go.  Keep your fingers crossed for us as all First place winners at State advance to Nationals in the summer.

In the meantime, I've taken to old outfits (lol - glad I have plenty of clothes) as I've had no time to make new ones.
McCall's 6612 made Fall 2013

30 comments:

  1. Congratulations and good luck Ms. Faye! I can relate in having a challenging workload and not enough time for Sewing or Blogging! However, we will always be here when you get back and isn't it wonderful we have full closet of our own handmade items? !!!!! You look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Myra! Yes, I love my self-made clothes.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations to you and your students, Faye. I hope you all continue to advance. But I also hope to see you return to sewing -- I miss your creations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Catherine, hopefully I can squeeze some sewing in this weekend.

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to you and your students! Life does get in the way of sewing for me, too. Here's hoping we both can get a few minutes in this weekend:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Angela, and yes a little weekend sewing would be so wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats and fabulous dress!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations to you and your teams!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo hoo - well done! As to your "old dress" - lovely

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations! Now take a deep breath, enjoy your favorite drink, put those feet up, and plan some sewing time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Bunny. Best advise I've had in a long time!

      Delete
  9. Oh, I know you're proud of your girls! They did rack up some impressive awards, with your guidance. Congratulations to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats, what a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulations ! ! and I always like to think of my old clothes as new again. . . Look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila. Yes it did feel like new again - hadn't worn it since last winter.

      Delete
  12. I know you must feel like a proud momma with your students....and a very stylish one if I might add!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. You are so right. I do feel like the mother. Sometimes they slip up and call me mama. Thanks Diane.

      Delete
  13. Congrats on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like you have been quite busy. Congrats and your dress is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your dress is great and my, have you been busy! Congratulations on your win.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Faye, it might be old, but this is a very interesting look! Enjoy the competitions. This post makes me miss preparing those 4th and 5th graders for and attending those competitions. I've been watching "Child Genus."

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...