November 14, 2017

#BLOGLIKECRAZY 14: MY SMALL HOMAGE TO NANCY ZIEMAN...

...the sewing world has lost one of it's greats!  I saw one of Nancy's videos just a little while ago in which she announced her full retirement.  I couldn't help being saddened today when I heard of her passing, and I feel compelled to speak of the impact that her contributions made to my life.  I've watched her PBS shows when offered in my area and always enjoyed them.  And just yesterday I wrote about the excellent customer service I received from the company that still bares her name.

I have not one, but five of her books in my resource library:




This one being my favorite and must used
Although I still have not gotten a full understanding of the " Pivot and Slide" method of pattern alteration, I've fully embarrassed "Slash and Spread".  Nancy's explanation of choosing the correct bodice pattern size really help me determine that I needed to use a smaller size through my neck, shoulder and bust areas. This information has saved me much anguish and fabric.  It made the difference in me making a well fitting bodice (top, or dress) (knit or woven) and me ending up with a garment that never gets worn.  That to me is priceless!

So rest in piece Nancy Zieman, you will truly be missed and the information that you shared will go down in history!!!


24 comments:

  1. I learned to not over think the fitting and sewing project. She made everything look soo easy! I have two of her books and I still don’t understand Pivot and slide! RIP Nancy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't learned not to over think fitting yet LaQuana. It can get me in such a tizzy sometimes.

      Delete
  2. Nancy Zieman was a great teacher & awesome lady. She will be sorely missed in the sewing community. So many of us watched her shows, bought her books & videos & learned so much from her over the years.
    Thank you Nancy from the bottom of our hearts.
    Becca G

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought the first import sewing book is her book. It was very useful. I will check these books too. Thank you for the great info!
    P.S. I'll email you soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My favorite is the Fitting Finess, but I was also able to pick up tips and techniques from the other ones as well.

      Thank you so much for the email you sent! I will notify you when the post is ready.

      Delete
  4. Nancy Zieman was my first sewing teacher. I learned to sew by the seat of my pant. I just sewed. Nancy taught me so many techniques that became part of my sewing standards. The sewing community lost one of its modern pioneers. She will be missed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will certainly miss her and will continue to use what I learned from her!

      Delete
  5. I can still remember in my youth watching her. My prayers for her family, friends and fans whom will miss her indeed!!! :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tribute to a great figure in our sewing community! She may no longer have a physical presence, but she leaves a HUGE legacy of learning information in her wake! You are so correct, she will truly be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Myra she is definitely a sewing icon!

      Delete
  7. Oh yes, she was my hero, my inspiration and instructor for all those years. I have a photo I took with her at an event. In the photo, I look like a crazed fan-girl meeting her ultimate rock star. Well, it was true, so I treasure it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mary I doubt Nancy actually knew just how many student she really had!

      Delete
  8. She will be missed by many.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will ever continue to use what I learned from her Tomasa!

      Delete
  9. I will miss her too! I have a few of her books, including Pattern Fitting with Confidence, which I reference frequently. Nancy helped me to sew beautiful set-in sleeves, and learn to organize my sewing time better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was a great benefit to all of us!

      Delete
  10. What a lovely tribute!! I think it's wonderful you took the time to write this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I wanted to honor a great teacher.

      Delete
  11. She was a wonderful woman in life and work. Out of curiosity I read her autobiography a couple of years ago, and it was really moving. I will never forget her wonderful method for sewing darts using your thread as a stitching line guide. It has saved me so much time on tricky fabrics!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have several of her books, patterns, & videos. She will truly be missed. I learned so much from watching her shows and reading her books.

    ReplyDelete
  13. She was a true ambassador for the sewing community. I am sadden of her passing. I pray that her family does well. Thank you Nancy for teaching me so many things. I will miss you.

    ReplyDelete

THANKS FOR LOOKING IN. YOUR COMMENTS ARE ALWAYS APPRECIATED!!!

Paying Homage to Black Pattern Designers...

...for years February has been set aside as a special time to learn about and recognize accomplishments of African Americans and other peopl...